Skip to content

Home / Shop

W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910

£280.00
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910
W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910

Home / Shop

W. Gibson Patent 'The Princeps' Putter c.1910

£280.00
Maximum quantity exceeded
Minimum purchase amount of 0 is required
Maximum purchase amount of 0 is allowed
Your Price: £280.00
280.000
A one-time price of £280.00 will be added to your order.
1 Left in Stock
  • Description

Club: ‘The Princeps’ Putter Patent no. 28443

Maker: William Gibson & Co., Kinghorn, Scotland.

Year: c.1910

Shaft: Original, straight shaft, with original calf skin grip.

Length: 35.5”

Condition: Very good. Nice clear maker's stamp and patent number on reverse, as well as stamp for H.R. Chestney, Burnham Beeches Golf Club, Buckinghamshire, England.

Other details: A smooth faced patent putter, by W.  Gibson & Co.,  with unusual weighted rear flange along the top of the blade which was intended to impart top spin on the ball. ‘GIBSON'S PATENT’ and 'Patent No.28443' stamped in capital letters on the reverse, with the Gibson Star cleek mark. Clear oval stamp for Henry Rowland 'Harry' Chestney, the Professional at Burnham Beeches Golf Club (1902-32).

Born in 1868, William Gibson began work as a blacksmith, before serving an apprenticeship at the famous forge of James Anderson of Anstruther. In 1896 he left there, moving to Edinburgh the following year to become a partner in the firm of Sterling and Gibson. On the death of his partner in 1899 he renamed the company William Gibson and Co., and moved to the Fife town of Kinghorn in 1903.

The Gibson of Kinghorn company not only produced clubs under their own name, but supplied metal heads to many clubmakers and golf professionals of the era, with their clubs being identified by the Gibson ‘star’ stamp mark (clearly visible on the back of this head).

By introducing modern manufacturing methods, but retaining the traditional qualities of Scottish club making, the firm went on to become the world’s largest producer of golf clubs at that time.

Reference: Jeffrey Ellis 'The Clubmaker's Art' page 455